Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Second Spring

Spring has come and gone, it seems, in Memphis. After the warmest March on record, the azaleas are gone, the redbuds and dogwoods have finished blooming, tulips - well, those were over in a flash. Now our many trees are leafed out, gorgeously green. Most of us have even planted our tomatoes!

That's why it was such a shock to drive along the Blue Ridge Parkway in North Carolina on Sunday. At first I thought there had been some major disaster that killed all the trees. Then I realized: they haven't budded yet! It's still early spring here!


This is the difference between an elevation of 400' (Memphis) and 3600' (NC mountains.). Wouldn't it be nice if we could just follow our favorite season? I'd journey northward til I ran out of spring, then turn around and trace my steps backward to stay in autumn. What would you do?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated and will appear as soon as they are approved.