Saturday, March 31, 2012


When my sister and I were young, we had a book of poetry that we spent hours reading, to ourselves and to each other.  Every spring I think of this poem that we loved, because we also loved our backyard swing set!  Is it because the rhythm reminds one of swinging?  All I know is that it's like poetry comfort food for me.



The Swing
How do you like to go up in a swing,
Up in the air so blue?
Oh, I do think it the pleasantest thing
Ever a child can do!

Up in the air and over the wall,
Till I can see so wide,
River and trees and cattle and all
Over the countryside--

Till I look down on the garden green,
Down on the roof so brown--
Up in the air I go flying again,
Up in the air and down! 
                                                             -- Robert Louis Stevenson

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated and will appear as soon as they are approved.