Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Bad tree, bad tree!

The National Association of Realtors has put together a slideshow of 11 Trees You Should Never Plant in Your Yard.  I've had personal experience with a few of them, and I bet you have, too.

Bradford Pear

Source
Like everyone else in the Mid-South, I planted Bradford Pears back in the early 90's.  That was at a previous house, but I don't think any of them are there today.  The Walnut Grove/I240 interchange is beautiful (or was before the construction) in the spring and fall, but it's fleeting and short-lived.

Black Walnut

Source
The black walnut tree out at PAR Davies could just as easily be pictured here.  We've had to work around that monster for four years.  The raised beds helped, but we're constantly trolling for dropped walnuts.  Yuk.

Green Ash

Source
I wish I had a picture of the Green Ash that was in the backyard of another house I owned years ago.  It was magnificent.  The Green Ash is on this list because it's being attacked by the Emerald Ash Borer, making its longevity questionable.  So sad.

There are some trees on the list that we don't grow in the Mid-South, for example, the Quaking Aspen. Then there are some that aren't on the list, but should be.  I would add River Birch and Sweet Gum.

What would you add?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated and will appear as soon as they are approved.