Thursday, September 29, 2011

GLAZED BUTTERNUT SQUASH


I'm so happy it's getting to be butternut squash season!  I love this stuff.  And I found the best recipe ever for the roasted version in America's Test Kitchen's Light & Healthy 2010.






GLAZED BUTTERNUT SQUASH

Vegetable oil spray
1 medium butternut squash (about 2 lbs) peeled, seeded, and cut into 1" chunks
1/3 cup packed brown sugar (dark or light)
1 Tbl canola oil
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp cinnamon
pinch cayenne pepper
1 tsp cider vinegar

1.  Adjust oven rack to the middle position and heat the over to 425.  Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and lightly coat with vegetable oil spray.

2.  Toss all ingredients through cayenne together in a large bowl until well coated.  Spread onto baking sheet and roast, stirring every 15 minutes, until well browned and tender (about 45 minutes.)  Transfer to a platter and drizzle with the vinegar and serve.

Confession:  I've made this twice and I keep forgetting the vinegar part!  Would someone please do this and tell me how it works out?

I like butternut squash mixed with other roasted vegetables and as a soup, too. Last month's Cooking Light had a recipe for Mac & Cheese that used butternut squash as a base in place of the creamy roux.  It didn't pass the taste test with Mr. A, but he's so set in his ways.  Am I missing any other good uses for butternut squash?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated and will appear as soon as they are approved.