Sunday, April 10, 2016

Weed or Flower?

Last year, I grew obedient plant (Physostegia virginia) for the first time. It was given to me by a friend whose obedient plant re-seeded. This spring while weeding that flower bed, I discovered what I believed to be obedient plant seedlings that came up from last year's plant.

Jack will tell you that I have been known to carefully tend weed seedlings far into the spring until it became obvious that they were not flower seedlings. So I decided I would try to find a picture on the internet of what an obedient plant looks like early on. I came across a document on the Natural Resources Conservation site that was extremely useful. It is a seedling identification guide, and it has great information (including pictures) of a lot of the re-seeding plants that can be tricky until you get familiar with them. Check it out here and possibly save yourself from tending the weeds and pulling up your flowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated and will appear as soon as they are approved.