Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Summer Solstice Report

Well, it's the official first day of summer, but you would think that the dog days have already been in full swing!  As I write this, though, there's a little shower going on at my house and it's very welcome.  I hope it cools things off, but I'm afraid it will just add to the mugginess factor.

Carl Wayne is having more than heat problems at the Victory Garden.  Who said rabbits are cute?  I'm in the Elmer Fudd camp:  "pesky wabbits!"




In my own garden, I've picked okra and eggplant.  The tomatoes are just about ready!  But I'm having a problem with blossom-end rot on my zucchini and yellow squash.  My father told me to spray the plants with lime.  Lime?  My internet search reveals that blossom-end rot is caused by a deficiency in calcium uptake. This is a result of (1) too much nitrogen, which impedes calcium uptake or (2) lack of calcium in the soil or (3) uneven watering.  One site said just remove the flowers once the young fruit has begun to grow and if you see any decay, just gently scrap it off.  It will leave a scar, but the fruit will grow normally.  What should I do?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated and will appear as soon as they are approved.